Thought I would give you a brief up date of what I have been up to as I know it has been a bit quiet on the blog lately and my twitter feed is awash with sarcasm, summer antics and not much photography talk. I finally finished the MA (at last), handed in dummy versions of the books in May and graduate in October. For those of you who would like to know, I got a First for my dissertation that asked the question "Is it possible to reclaim the word whore through creative practice as research?" but that does not mean it is the end of Whoretography - oh no my peoples, this is only the beginning. This is now my passion, my photographic purpose that I will do along side my commercial work, this matters to me.
This is what I have been doing:
- Hand delivering box orders, if I have not got to you yet you will hear from me on Sunday.
- Applying for PhDs - currently waiting to hear back from a few universities.
- Updating the rejection page on the website to list all the mainstream places Whoretography has been rejected from - the list is long my friends.
- Ironing out a few kinks and quirks with the commercial photographer's list.
- Finalising the dummy books to get them to a stage I can present them to publishers
- Arranging exhibitions andinstallations influenced by the work of Christer Stromholm who once said, that his images of prostitutes as being“about insecurity… about humiliation… about the quest for self-identity and the right to live” (Vaillat, 2017). This coupled with the notion that “the book is the natural home, and the best showcase for photographers, because of the nature of the medium itself, making a photobook by virtue of the fact that it requires the selection and sequencing of a number of photographs, gives meaning to the photographers work. The photobook allows the photographer the potential to tell a story, the possibility of constructing a narrative.”
- Heading to Australia to design a book cover for an academic publication and to work with an amazingly inspirational woman whose daughter was a remarkable person.
- Working on edition two of the magazine and submitting the original edition to competition for self and independent publishers. AND FINALLY
- The matter ofInsuh Yoon, I have written an article about him and sought some legal advice prior to publishing, as soon as I make the required changes we are good to go.